Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gorilla Glue: Apparently To Pets It's Rather Tasty

Video Courtesy of

Resting comfortably in his cage is a one year old boxer named Wiley who had an up close and personal experience with Gorilla Glue. Fortunately he didn't eat much, but what remained in his stomach had to be surgically removed.  He'll be feeling much better in a couple days.

CVES sees about 3 to 4 cases a year of Gorilla glue ingestion and so far most of those cases have had a positive outcome.  The problem with gorilla glue is that it can actually adhere to the stomach lining and, depending on the amount of time it remains in the stomach, may require removal of some of the stomach with the gorilla glue to get it out.

This is an example of the type of mass the glue can grow into.  This was not the actual glue removed from Wiley.  You can see that about three quarters of the bottle was consumed and it grew into a size significantly larger.

On the Gorilla Glue website you'll find this statement:  Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane glue. All polyurethane glues foam when they come in contact with moisture and may cause gastro-intestinal blockage if swallowed. This is not unique to Gorilla Glue, but true of all polyurethane glues. If you think there has been a case of ingesting the glue, seek medical or veterinary advice immediately.

The primary signs of a problem after gorilla glue ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, and poor appetite.  If you suspect your pet has ingested gorilla glue get him or her to a veterinary hospital right away.  Gorilla Glue has its place, but do your best to make sure that place in not in your pet's stomach.

No comments: